The latest Polo is available with a broad range of engines and trim levels, ensuring that there’s something for everyone in the range. It also has a classy interior that’s well equipped even in entry-level Life trim. Previously, the Polo has lost out to the Ibiza because it couldn’t justify its additional expense, but impressive deals mean that’s no longer an issue.
- Good to drive
- Generous interior space
- Attractive PCP finance deals
- Ford Fiesta is more fun to drive
- Gutless entry-level petrol
- Standard safety kit could be better
The Sandero is comfortable, generously equipped (at least in our recommended Comfort trim) and very spacious, so it would be well worth considering even if it cost the same as its rivals. Except it doesn’t; it’s the UK’s cheapest new car. Just bear in mind that there are quieter and safer small cars if you’re prepared to spend (quite a lot) more.
- Amazingly good value
- Lots of space for passengers and luggage
- Comfortable ride
- Poor safety rating compared with rivals
- There are more entertaining small cars to drive
- Some other small cars are quieter